First of all, nothing will change for our Tuesday performance. You will dance it as is. However, on Wednesday we will be making a few minor but necessary changes. Watching it with new eyes as other adults see it for the first time, its suddenly clear what we need to do to make this thing great. The success of this ballroom program at ERMS relies a great deal on you guys absolutely blowing everyone away at the talent show--and...well, we're just not there yet.
The auditions was...not the best. Partly because we're all mentally checked out after the break, (I know I am!), half of your are sick, and partly because there are things that just don't work and need to be fixed. But this I do know--that routine is not quite performance ready, and it needs to improve a great deal before it can truly live up to its potential. You have all done wonderfully--many of the problems are my fault--mainly that I took too long to get the skirts ready, and we just need more practice with them!
We will also be having a Saturday morning rehearsal on the 20th. I am still working out the details of where. Please let me know if you will not be able to be there. I know Ammon cannot be there, but he's the only one I've heard of so far. So prepare for that rehearsal--I will give you details of where when I have them. Believe me, I'd rather not have it. But guys--WE NEED IT.Without it, you have basically one more rehearsal before you perform for the talent show. Its just not enough time.
Below is the new video with formations. Watch it for some of the changes. Here is the list of things that we will be working on:
- Walk-On - Never has been strong. We need to make this thing AWESOME. I may be changing the drop at the beginning to a death drop to see if that's cleaner, but we'll see what works best. It needs to be A LOT more powerful.
- Cha-cha--this section at the audition had like ZERO energy. This is a great song and I know you love dancing to it--I want to see that!
- Swing - This will be our biggest section to work. The actual swing dance is very strong, but it's the transition to the Quickstep and the dress change that needs the most work. You will notice that the boys will be the ones in the circle formation, as they need more time to change their ties than the girls need. I added 8 counts in this section to accommodate this and...
- The carry-lift is back in. That is, it will be after we've done it a few times with our skirts--now complete with snaps--to make sure it doesn't affect them dropping early.
- The bulk of our time will be spent running the dress change--over and over--in all three shows--until it is smooth and you are confident, and we can see that the dress change IS WORKING EVERY TIME.
- Quickstep - Actually a very strong section. Just watch your lines and stop faking the steps. I want a more clear 'hop, hop, hop' right before you go through the passing lines.
- The lift looked awesome.
- Foxtrot - Oh, the Foxtrot. Yeah, needs some serious work. It is by far the weakest part of the dance. The transition for the girls going from the floor to standing needs to be stronger. Lines are not great, and the step is totally being faked. I think just working it a lot will really help.
- Viennese Waltz--actually looks really good. Not a lot of changes here except a reminder to make sure your skirts are spinning the same.
- Tango - The formations in this have always been weird. In the video I have modified the tango formation--but it's very simple and it's what your are practically doing anyway. I think setting it that way will make a lot more sense.
Finally...SHAKE IT OFF! I know there is an inversion and the air's terrible and sometimes you don't feel good and play is over and what do I have for homework and what was Mrs. Rees saying? But...you've been working for this show since AUGUST. I want to see you ROCK. THIS. THING. And I know you can. Each and every one of you is AMAZING, and so talented, and you have come such a long way over the last few months. We have so much to look forward to--and I want you to go out there and just know that you are freaking amazing and everyone watching will wish they were up there with you. YOU CAN DO IT!!! See you Tuesday!!!